Wednesday 12 January 2011

Should I look for ID or contractor?

This is a common question for most home owners when they're getting a new house.If the house is well renovated maybe small work might do.If the unit is old and no renovations done by previous owner,
more work to do = more $$$$


Interior designer aka ID.
They're working for renovation firm and they provide you with space layout,design,3D drawings.Act as a coordinator which will supervise the worker on your behalf.ID will promise you the time line when your renovation complete.

Pros
You can consult them for ideas,layout,you won't need to crack your head for ideas.They are the one who will supervise on all the reno works.If you have limited time to supervise the works.Hiring an ID will be a great idea.They can also advise you on your furniture to buy which match your design theme.

Cons
Expensive.However nowadays most renovation firms come with free design and layout in their quotations or perhaps the ID fees are already inside the package.There is also some feedback that there is a few ID which never deliver their promises.No one is perfect,maybe the ID have many projects at the same time.Best way is to discuss with your ID nicely than turning your relation sour = delayed,wrong works.It also depends on your luck,if you get a popular ID,he/she might be too busy to handle your reno works.Just my 2 cents.

Contractor
Pros
Cheaper

Cons
You have to give them the design although some contractors now can give u design since they have work for several projects,basically your design might be the same as other owners since the contractors just change a bit here and there.

MY CONCLUSION
I've asked quotations for my new house from about 14 renovation firms and contractors.Although some never respond because I ask them through email,some did respond.Most requires you to drop by their office to discuss in details,some I meet up but most not since I don't have enough time.I just want to get the estimation quotations.That's all I asked for.When to a few contractors,thinking it was cheaper but to my surprise the price is about the same as using an ID.There's this one contractor I approach which is uncle,I ask him for design,he suggested to use a sliding window beneath my kitchen sink.Whatt???That was like a decade ago which was popular.He keep assuring me..my house will be nice.So I cross him out.For me,it's not easy to convinced me,I want value for money but I don't mind to pay a bit more if the contractors know and deliver what I want.

In the end I choose a ID.will tell you more on my next post. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment